Thursday, April 10, 2008

Masslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Q1) How does Masslow compare to Aristotle? How does the self actualized person in Masslow compare to a person who is living a good life in Arisotle?
Q2) Can you obtain it by buying a product?
Q3) Should you try to sell a product by implying that you can obtain this?

1) I think they are very similiar, mainly in one aspect. They both have at the end two forms of the pyramid and his discussion - happiness - In Masslow this is Self Actulization and Aristotle is Achieving Happiness. They both feel happiness is the end result, so I do think they are similair.

2) No, you can't. I know some very rich people, and they have anything they could ever want, they claim they are happy, but deep down I don't really think they are. This goes for stars, actors, athletes, anything...sometime this fame dies down, they retire or fizzle out...then what? You can buy anything, however, that doesn't mean you are going to be happy in the end. No one product is going to make someone truly happy. This is something I believe. Yes, I want to work has hard as I can to make as much money as I can, so I can buy myself "toys" and provide for my future family and to spoil them, but I also want to become truly happy with where I am at, who I am with, and what I do...and I do not think one or multiple products is going to do this for me.

3) Yes and no. Yes, for the reasons of making money, making yourself look better (if you are a sales person or trying to get a promotion, etc), landing a client. No, if you are a moral person or group of people, you shouldn't play on people's emotions at this level by saying, "hey, this product will give you true happiness, you won't need anything else other than this," because no one product or group of products can do this. However, people probably think the products can, espcially if they have money. However, it all comes down to the end of the day if you can ask yourself if you are truly happy or not.

No comments: